Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My personal skincare routine

After being hounded by my cousin and Semi to post something for the last few month, I have finally decided to actually post a little something today. This one is not makeup related but concerns my personal skincare routine.
For those of you who don´t know this, I have severe dermatitis and I go through several periods a year when my skin isn't in it´s best shape. My dermatologist gives me steroid and cortisone cream to combat the flare ups and they do help but for the last few months I have been trying out different types of cleansers, toners, serums and masks. I have to say that my skin hasn't looked or felt better in ages. I will start off with my daily skincare routine and then go into what I use to target more specific things with masks later this week.
Before I start off with that I think it is important to note that I have extremely sensitive combination skin that is severely dehydrated if I don´t take care of it. If your skin is on the drier side, these products might not be the best for you.

Every morning I cleanse my face with Dr Hauschka cleansing creme. This is the only product that I keep in the bathroom (it´s actually in the shower). On a moist skin I press a pea size amount into my skin and rinse it off. It looks like it´s peanut butter and has the finest grain to it. It leaves my skin super soft and because it doesn´t contain any type foam/soap ingredients it doesn´t dry out my skin.

At night I use Clinique redness solution cleanser. I apply this on dry skin, rub it in and then get a small moist face towel and remove the cleanser from my face. 
The cleanser breaks down my SPF and the towel removes it without any problem and leaves my skin clean.



Once I have dried my face I will use a toner that will exfoliate my skin with a very mild AHA. I have tried several but absolutely love clarins gentle exfoliator. I actually didn't know this but the instructions say that you can only use it once every 2 weeks or so. I have been applying it very happily for the last 3 months twice a day without any type of issue. I doubled checked with my dermatologist and she said it was fine.


I then move on to a moisturizing mist. I have 2. Dr Hauschka toner and Caudalie beauty elixir. I spray one of these on and then at night I will apply some type of oil (I have tried my own concoction of essential oils or I apply Clarins lotus oil). I am not a big fan of the glow the oil gives me but love the feel of my skin in the morning, that's why I keep the oil for my night routine. 

Estée Lauder gave me their new and improved advanced night repair. The old one always made me break out, so I was very reluctant to try this but dear god how I love the new formulation. It gives my skin a very healthy appeal and it has hyaloronic acid in it, so my skin just gets a massive moisture boost and just looks amazing. I apply this after the mist in the morning and after the oil at night.

For the day I use clinique city block. It actually has moisturizing properties in it and considering my skin has a tendency to be a bit on the oily side, this works wonders for me. I am protected and hydrated all day long.

My night moisturizer is caudalie cell renewal night cream. I love how is smells but I didn't like it on it's own but with all the hydration layers that I apply before it gives my skin the right amount of moisturization. 

Before you go nuts on me with how many layers I apply and you don't have time for all this. I am done in less than a minute. I now have very well hydrated, poreless skin with no shine and haven't had to use any type of cortisone cream since I started this routine. Another perk people think I am 25!!! I smoke like a whore in love, sleep very little and am in constant airconditioning or the sun, 25 is a compliment considering I am well over 30.