Saturday, September 21, 2013

Putting your best mask forward.

Like I stated in my last post I also use a massive amount of face masks. I hate to admit this (who am I kidding, I love to admit this) but I am addicted to masks. I absolutely adore using them. I have had times where I have applied up to 5 one after the other. Here is my collection of different types of mask I have on rotation at the moment and how I apply them.

Before I apply any type of mask I start out with double cleansing my skin. This means I start with Clinique redness solution that I remove with a moist towel and then apply Dr Hauschka creme cleanser. After rinsing this off I apply my exfoliating toner (loving Clarins gentle exfoliator at the moment).

When I go for a multiple mask session, I usually cleanse, treat and hydrate. Meaning that I start with a cleansing mask move on to something that will treat something and finish with a moisturizing mask. 

Cleansing Mask

I have several ones that I use but I love Dr Hauschka. It comes in powder form that you need to mix with water. I actually add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture just to give the mask an extra cleansing boost. After 5 to 10 minutes I rinse this off. The reason I love this is because most clay masks have a tendency to be a little drying. This one doesn´t. It just cleans the pores without stripping moisture from the skin. After patting my skin dry I move on to my next mask.



Treatment Mask 

Let me start off this section with one of my favorite treatment masks. Apivita seaweed peel off mask. Affectionately named the smurf mask because of it´s blue color. You mix this with some water, apply it to your skin and peel off after it has dried. It will detox the skin and gives your skin this amazing soft feel. Not to mention that after the cleansing mask this one will make your pores look like they are smaller (nothing can close your pores, they aren´t muscles) and make your skin look completely revitalized. I gave this mask to my male model friend Robin and he loved it. Proving that this most definitely is a face mask men will like to.


Another favorite of mine, and part of my skincare kit that´s in my makeup bag, is Caudalie enzymatic peel mask. It is supposed to tighten the pores and promote radiance. Now the pore tightening I haven´t really noticed, the peel off mask is more effective in that department, but it will give your skin a radiance boost. Apply to a clean dry skin, leave on for about 10 minutes and rinse of with water. 


I use to love this next one but I haven´t used it in awhile. Korres rose mask, again gives you radiance and softens the appearance of wrinkles and color imperfections in the skin. Like the Caudalie mask, you apply on clean dry skin, leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.



Hydration Mask

My absolute favorite mask for re hydration has to be Aveda intensive hydrating masque. What this thing does to the skin is just amazing. Not only does it provide you with a massive moisture boost to your skin, I noticed that is also slightly clears out your pores. Apply this to a clean dry skin leave on for 10 minutes and then rinse off and finish with your regular moisturizer.


Another moisture mask, that I love after being in the sun is Korres yoghurt mask. It has real Greek yogurt in it and it will not only hydrate and calm your skin it also cools it, so it gets rid of the feeling of heat that is in your skin after sun exposure. I personally wouldn´t exfoliate my skin after I have been in the sun so I apply this on freshly cleansed skin (skip any type of exfoliation on this mask) leave on for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse off. You will notice that your skin will absorb only where it needs it. What I have noticed with this mask is that is leaves a soft film like texture on the skin, something I don't mind after being in the sun.


The Holy Grail of Masks

Now there is one mask that is the holy grail of masks. It will change the appearance of your skin. Gone out clubbing for 4 days straight without sleep, this mask will make it seem you had 8 hours of sleep. SKII facial treatment mask, I use this on clients for events. It comes in a sachet that contains an actual face mask that is drenched in liquid. You apply the mask on your skin and leave it on for 20 minutes. It will really change the look of your skin. Finish with a good moisturizer. 


Now obviously you don't have to use any type of mask, if you don´t feel like it but it will really help to give your skin a bit of a boost and you will see and feel a difference in your skin.